Add a beautiful mini quilt to your collection with this chevron-inspired quilt pattern. Made using half square triangles, this beginner quilting project uses shades of white and blue to create a wave-like design that’s easy enough for new quilters. This mini quilt pattern is perfect for pre-cuts and would look breath-taking as a wall hanging or table topper. Make this mini quilt in your favorite color, so that you can show off an elegant array of hues in this stylish design.
Skill Level: Easy
Finished Size: 24 x 24”
Seam Allowances: 1/4”
- Beige cotton fabric – cut 9 – 5 1/8 x 5 1/8” – A
- White cotton fabric – cut 12 – 5 1/8 x 5 1/8” – B
- Light blue cotton fabric – cut 9 – 5 1/8 x 5 1/8” – C
- Dark blue cotton fabric – cut 6 – 5 1/8 x 5 1/8” – D
- Cotton fabric for back: 28 x 28”
- Cotton batting: 28 x 28”
- Cotton fabric binding: 2 1/2 x 110”
- This mini quilt is made using half square triangles.
- To begin the quilt, draw a diagonal line, corner to corner, on the wrong side of each piece A and C.
- Pin 6 pieces A to 6 pieces B with right sides together and the drawn line on A facing up. Stitch 1/4” from each side of the drawn line on A. Cut along the line.
- Press each square open with the seam toward the darker fabric. The squares should measure about 4 3/4” at this point. Trim each to 4 1/2 x 4 1/2”.
- Repeat the process by matching the remaining 3 pieces A with 3 of the D pieces. The drawn line on A should be facing up. Match up 3 pieces C with the remaining 3 D pieces. Stitch and trim in the same manner.
- Sew and trim the remaining 6 pieces C to the 6 pieces B.
- Lay out the squares to match the diagram.
- Sew the squares together in horizontal rows. Alternate the direction the seams are pressed in each row to help them nest together in the next steps.
- Stitch the rows together, matching the seams.
- Trim the quilt top to square.
- Lay the backing fabric out, right side down. Top with the cotton batting. Center the quilt top overall, right side up. Pin well.
- Quilt as desired. Trim the backing and batting to square up and match the top.
- Finish the edge with binding.